RNA - In June 2018, US District Judge Dana Sabraw ordered an end to family separations, asking the government to reunite over 2,700 children who had been separated from their parents under the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” policy of criminally prosecuting illegal border crossers.
The Trump administration, however, has continued the “cruel and illegal” practice since the verdict was issued, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) said in a court filing on Tuesday.
"It is shocking that the Trump administration continues to take babies from their parents," said Lee Gelernt, an attorney with the ACLU.
"Over 900 more families join the thousands of others previously torn apart by this cruel and illegal policy," he added. "The administration must not be allowed to circumvent the court order over infractions like minor traffic violations."
The ACLU also accused the government of abusing its discretion by "separating young children based on such offenses as traffic violations, misdemeanor property damage, and disorderly conduct violations. Some of the separations are for offenses that took place many years ago. And some are for mere allegations or arrests without convictions."
Trump’s controversial policy created a massive outcry with the United Nations, immigration and child advocates as well as Democratic lawmakers all condemning the practice.
During his presidential campaign and after taking office, Trump vowed to crack down on illegal immigration in part by building the wall on the border with Mexico but more than three years into his term, the US president has failed to fulfill that promise.