RNA - Letitia James officially filed a lawsuit in Manhattan federal court Monday in the backdrop of the Department of Homeland Security’s announcement of new restrictions last week.
“No one should ever use our national security as a political weapon, let alone the commander in chief,” James told reporters at her lower Manhattan office shortly after filing the suit.
The new restrictions were to prohibit state residents from enrolling or re-enrolling in Global Entry and other Trusted Traveler Programs.
“The president’s crusade against New York is not only an inconvenience to New Yorkers, but also poses a direct threat to one of the nation’s largest economies,” she said. “We will not allow the president of the United States to single out New Yorkers, to discriminate against New Yorkers, to target New Yorkers and to coerce us.”
The suit further said that the administration’s move would undermine public safety.
“Singling out one state for coercion and retribution as a means to compel conformity with preferred federal policies is unconstitutional,” it read. “Defendants’ ban on New Yorkers’ participation in the Trusted Traveler programs not only violates the law, but also injures New York by undermining public safety and causing extensive economic harm.”
A separate suit was, meanwhile, filed by the New York Civil Liberties Union, noting that the president is targeting the state.
“New York has now become the president’s favorite target,” said executive director Donna Lieberman. “But if that’s the price of being a state that lives by our Democratic values, so be it.”