RNA - Brigadier General Yahya Saree, the spokesman for the Yemeni Armed Forces, told Yemen’s Arabic-language al-Masirah news website that the short-range ballistic missile successfully hit a command center in Saqqam area.
He added that the missile had been launched early on Sunday, destroying the base and leaving a large number of Saudi-led troops either killed or wounded.
The missile launch came a few hours after fresh drone attacks by Yemeni forces on an airport in Najran.
Saree had said earlier in the day that the Yemeni forces used Qasif-K2 combat drones to first target a command and control center at the Najran airport and later hangers and military sites there.
He said the drones had successfully hit their targets and halted air traffic at the airport.
According to Press TV, Yemeni forces regularly target positions inside Saudi Arabia in retaliation for the Saudi-led war on Yemen, which began in March 2015 in an attempt to reinstall a former regime and eliminate the Houthi Ansarullah movement, which has been defending the country along with the armed forces.
The US-based Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict-research organization, estimates that the Saudi-led war has claimed the lives of over 60,000 Yemenis since January 2016.
The years-long military aggression has also taken a heavy toll on Yemen’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories. The United Nations has already warned that more than 24 million Yemenis are in dire need of humanitarian aid, including 10 million suffering from extreme levels of hunger.