05 August 2019 - 11:19
News ID: 446379
A
Top Security Official:
Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Ali Shamkhani slammed the US for imposing sanctions against Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, and said that the train of “maximum pressure” has now stopped at the station of frustration.

RNA - Shamkhani published a note in the Iranian media on Sunday, explaining why the US maximum pressure campaign against Iran has failed.

By withdrawing from Iran nuclear deal and adopting maximum pressure policy against Iran, Trump tried to prove to the world that he is a different individual who can gain most interests with the least possible costs, said Shamkhani, adding, “Maximum pressure policy’s design concentrated on weakening foundations of Islamic Revolution power, i.e. the Leadership, people, IRGC and Foreign Ministry. And sanctions were used as a tool with the lowest costs to damage the basis of Iran’s authority.”

“Cold and confrontational reaction of people, gradual stabilization of the country’s economic conditions, an influential increase in regional and international moves, and firm stances of Islamic Revolution Leader made Trump feel disappointed in the path while also increasing international and internal rivals’ pressure on him in an unprecedented way,” stressed the top official.

“Sanctioning the Iranian Foreign Minister after he rejected Trump’s invitation for talks showed that the train of ‘maximum pressure’ has been stopped in the ‘failure station’ and all those abroad have no other choice than switch the railroad to the direction of implementing commitments and respecting legal rights of the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Shamkhani highlighted.

“Active and influential diplomacy of the Islamic Republic cannot be sanctioned. Neither Trump nor no one of its allies can prevent Iran’s clear and rightful voice from resonating in the world,” he concluded.

The US Department of Treasury on Wednesday imposed sanctions against Zarif.

According to Fars News Agancy, Zarif, who has been Iran’s foreign minister since 2013, was the chief negotiator in the multinational nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

The Trump administration said last month it was planning to impose sanctions against Iranian top diplomat.

In reaction to the decision, Zarif played down the US sanctions against him, expressing pleasure that he is considered as a "huge threat" to Washington's plots.

"The US' reason for designating me is that I am Iran's primary spokesperson around the world," Zarif wrote on his Twitter account early Thursday.

"It has no effect on me or my family, as I have no property or interests outside of Iran," he added, asking the US whether the truth is really painful.

"Thank you for considering me such a huge threat to your agenda," Zarif reiterated.

"We know that calling for dialog and peace is an existential threat to B-Team. And since reason for designating me is my words, would US persons need OFAC license to engage with me by reading my writings or listening to interviews?" he wrote two hours later.

Zarif had earlier told the New York Times that "everyone who knows me knows that I, or my family, do not own any property outside Iran. I personally do not even have a bank account outside Iran. Iran is my entire life and my sole commitment. So I have no personal problem with possible sanctions".

"The only impact--and possibly the sole objective--of a possible designation would be to limit my ability to communicate. And I doubt that would serve anyone. Certainly, it would limit the possibility of informed decision making in Washington," he added.

847/940

Tags: Zarif US Iran
Send comment
Name:
Email:
* Comment:
Please type in your comments in English.
The comments that contain insults or libel to individuals, ethnicities, or contradictions with the laws of the country and religious teachings will not be disclosed