RNA - Nord, the founder and editor of Geopolitics Alert who covers US imperialism with a special focus on the Middle East, made the remarks in an interview with Press TV on Wednesday.
Up to 4,000 American paratroopers have been ordered to deploy to the Middle East region following mass protests outside the US embassy by Iraqi protesters infuriated over Washington’s recent deadly military aggression on the Arab country.
The US Army’s 82nd Airborne Division’s alert brigade of roughly 4,000 paratroopers, known as the Deployment Ready Brigade (DRB), has been issued orders to prepare for a possible deployment in the days ahead in Kuwait, three US defense officials told Fox News on Tuesday.
At least 500 paratroopers are already making their way to Kuwait, the officials added.
Earlier in the day, US Defense Secretary Mark Esper said in a statement that at least 750 paratroopers were set to swiftly deploy to the region.
Esper added that additional forces from the Immediate Response Force (IRF) were prepared to deploy over the next several days.
“It seems Washington’s strategy is to purposely to put troops in danger and wait for US troops to die so they can legitimize a direct attack on Iran, and continue their occupation of Iraq,” Nord said.
“The United States does not belong in Iraq. It never did. It started the war based on lies, and keeps managing to conjure up excuses to continue its occupation -- not to mention justify the cause. This is a very expensive occupation and war for the United States. I think I read recently the cost has reached a trillion dollar alone. And sending these 4 thousand troops to the region will only multiply that cost. So this is a very foolish to send US troops to Iraq on multiple levels,” she stated.
“And if something drastic happens to a large number of US troops, this could end up costing Trump the election. So at this point I am not sure how far he will take this. We’re in an election year right now,” she noted.
The US embassy in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad was evacuated on Tuesday after thousands of angry demonstrators gathered outside the gates of the compound to condemn Washington’s fatal military aggression that targeted Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) on Sunday.
The protesters held up signs calling for the US mission to be shut down and for the parliament to order US forces to leave Iraq.
American forces deployed inside the compound fired tear gas, flash bangs and stun grenades to disperse the crowd, however, the Iraqi protesters breached the outer wall of the high-security compound, throwing bricks and stones at the surveillance cameras around the building.
Reacting to the developments in Iraq, US President Donald Trump accused Tehran of being behind the mass protests outside the US embassy in Baghdad.
Trump said that Tehran will be held fully responsible for any US lives lost in Iraq and claimed Iran would pay a "big price" in case US facilities are damaged or its forces are attacked in the Arab country.
Rejecting the US accusations, Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Seyyed Abbas Mousavi said Washington should abandon its destructive policies in the region and warned US officials against taking any uncalculated action.