RNA - "Saudi Arabia's official report to admit killing Khashoggi at the country's consulate in Istanbul is full of ambiguities and indicates the Saudi regime's desperate attempts to buy time; that's why it has faced doubt and suspicions and demands have increased for a clear international probe into this case," Atwan wrote on Sunday.
He noted that an international investigation might start into the case which would end up in a tribunal like what was held for Lockerby case.
According to Fars News Agancy, Atwan said the Saudis succeeded in killing Khashoggi which was the easy part of the job, but failed to cover it, which, he stressed, could kill Mohamed bin Salman's dream for ascending to the throne.
Khashoggi, known for his criticism of Saudi Arabia's policies, went missing on October 2 after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to obtain a marriage document. Ankara has accused Riyadh of murdering the Khashoggi and smuggling his body out of the consulate in pieces. Saudi Arabia first denied the charges as “baseless", stressing that the journalist left the consulate shortly after he arrived, without providing any evidence. But, after two weeks of denial by Saudi officials, Riyadh confessed that Khashoggi had been murdered by its security agents at the Istanbul consulate, but made no mention of where his body is.
According to Fars News Agancy, US intelligence has also revealed that the Saudi crown prince ordered an operation to detain Khashoggi after luring him back to Saudi Arabia, according to The Washington Post. US officials speaking on the condition of anonymity have told The Washington Post that MbS and other Saudi officials tried to get Khashoggi to return to Saudi Arabia, where he is from, with offers of government employment and protection.
Also, US intelligence agencies are increasingly convinced that the Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince played a role in Khashoggi’s disappearance in early October, according to a report.
Citing unidentified officials, The New York Times reported that information leaked to the public – names and photos of 15 Saudis who travelled to Istanbul on October 2 as well as claims Turkey possesses audio recordings of Khashoggi’s death – is helping convince the US intelligence community that the crown prince was involved.