Service :
20 August 2018 - 21:17
News ID: 439176
A
Rasa - Yemeni scholars and religious figures have strongly denounced a recent deadly airstrike by Saudi warplanes on a bus carrying schoolchildren in the country’s northwestern province of Sa’ada, criticizing the silence and inaction of world bodies vis-à-vis the Saudi-led coalition's crimes against Yemenis.
Yemenis take part in a mass funeral on August 13, 2018 in the northern Yemeni city of Sa’ada for children killed in an airstrike by the Saudi-led coalition last week. (Photo by AFP)

RNA - The scholars, in a statement released on Sunday, held the United Nations and the UN Security Council responsible for the atrocities of the Saudi-led military alliance against the Yemeni nation.

 

The statement called on all freedom-loving people worldwide, Muslim leaders and clerics in particular, to raise their voices and fulfill their humanitarian and religious duties in the face of the aggressors’ heinous criminal acts.

 

It also urged Yemeni people to stand united, demonstrate resilience and continue to send fighters to battlefronts.

 

The airstrike on August 9 hit a bus carrying a group of young schoolchildren attending summer classes of the Holy Qur’an from a camp at a busy market area in the Dhahyan district of Sa’ada province, UN spokesman, Farhan Haq, said in a statement.

 

According to Yemeni medical sources, over 50 people, including 40 children, were killed and 77 injured in the strike.

 

The United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres has censured the attack, calling for “an independent and prompt investigation” into the incident.

 

Some 15,000 Yemenis have been killed and thousands more injured since the onset of the Saudi-led aggression on Yemen in March 2015.

 

According to Press TV, the United Nations says a record 22.2 million Yemenis are in need of food aid, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger.

 

A high-ranking UN aid official has warned against the “catastrophic” living conditions in Yemen, stating that there is a growing risk of famine and cholera there.

 

“The conflict has escalated since November, driving an estimated 100,000 people from their homes,” John Ging, UN director of aid operations, told the UN Security Council on February 27.

 

847/940

Tags: Yemen UN Saudi
Send comment
Name:
Email:
* Comment:
Please type in your comments in English.
The comments that contain insults or libel to individuals, ethnicities, or contradictions with the laws of the country and religious teachings will not be disclosed