RNA - "The political atmosphere ruling the US is critical given the fact that we are close to the US presidential elections and the US administration has lost its winning cards in light of the Syrian army and its allies' advances and therefore, it cannot take any practical decision," al-Aboud told FNA on Saturday.
He said that by prolonging the crisis in Syria until the end of the presidential elections, the US wants to make moves in favor of Hillary Clinton and show that the US democrats have not withdrawn from their strategic goals in the Middle-East.
"Russia understands this reality well and knows that the US administration is not committed to any agreement but Moscow uses this fact to display Washington as a cunning actor before the eyes of the world public opinion," al-Aboud said.
Russian media reported earlier this week that the country's defense ministry has devised a preemptive plan to be implemented if the US withdraws from talks with Moscow on Syria and opts for its Plan B.
Izvestia newspaper quoted a high-ranking military source as saying that the plan includes military and political measures. The source didn’t reveal the details of the Russian plan.
Also, Franz Klintsevich, the deputy head of the Unity group in the State Duma, revealed that "if needed, we can highly increase our military support for the Syrian armed forces".
Also this week, Izvestia had reported that the Russian Ministry of Defense has transferred additional Su-24 and Su-34 tactical bombers to Khmeimim, its airbase in Syria.
It quoted a source as saying that the Su-25 attack bombers will also be deployed in response to the US announcement that it will turn to 'Plan B' in Syria. The US plans to increase the number of combat missions to Syria, transfer special forces to the region and start new arms deliveries to the so-called moderate opposition.
"If necessary, Russian Aerospace Forces (VKS) will have to strengthen its command within the next 2-3 days. The Su-25 attack bombers have been designated for transfer to Khmeimim Air Base, the troops have already been selected and are prepared for deployment; the crews are on standby, waiting for command," Izvestia's source said.
Also, Russia’s Defense Ministry said in a statement on Tuesday that a battery of Russian S-300 air defense missile launchers has been transported to Syria. Its sole purpose is to defend a Russian naval base and warships, the ministry added.
The information about the S-300’s deployment was confirmed by ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov.
“Indeed, the Syrian Arab Republic received an S-300 anti-aircraft missile system. This system is designed to ensure the safety of the naval base in [Syrian city of] Tartus and ships located in the coastal area [in Syria]…” he told the media.
Konashenkov said it is unclear why the deployment of the missile system has created such a fuss in the West.
“The S-300 is a purely defensive system and poses no threat,” he said.
He recalled that before the deployment of S-300, Russia had delivered Fort air defense missile systems to Syria.