03 May 2019 - 02:48
News ID: 444629
A
Authorities in the city of Christchurch in New Zealand have charged a man detained earlier with the possession of explosives and other weapons, one and a half months after 50 Muslim worshipers were shot dead in two mosques in the same city.

RNA - Police officials said on Wednesday that the 33-year-old individual was charged with three counts of possession of explosives and possession of ammunition and two counts of possession of an offensive weapon, Reuters reported.

New Zealand law enforcement also said that the suspect “had no known link” to the attacks at the mosques, which were carried out on March 15.

“We are not seeking anyone else in relation to the incident,” authorities said in a statement.

Police would not elaborate on the case while it remained before the courts.

Police officers had taken the suspect into custody at a service station in eastern Christchurch earlier, on Tuesday, and a bomb disposal team dealt with a suspected explosive device discovered at a vacant property in another suburb of the city. The incident took place just one kilometer from the Linwood Mosque.

Fifty people, including small children, were killed and dozens more wounded in the attacks on the al-Noor and Linwood mosques during Friday prayers on March 15, which were broadcast live by the gunman on Facebook.

The national security threat in New Zealand was raised to high following the terrorist attacks targeting the country’s small Muslim community in the South Island city. It was downgraded to medium last month.

847/940

 
 
Send comment
Name:
Email:
* Comment:
Please type in your comments in English.
The comments that contain insults or libel to individuals, ethnicities, or contradictions with the laws of the country and religious teachings will not be disclosed
Last news
Favorites