RNA - Here is a glimpse at major events in the life of the late Chairman of the Expediency Council Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani who passed away at the age of 82 due to heart condition in Tehran on Sunday.
- Born in Iran’s southeastern city of Rafsanjan, Kerman Province, on August 25, 1934
- Married to Effat Mar'ashi in 1958
- Imprisoned from 1960 to 1979 for political activity against the Pahlavi regime
This photo taken on March 8, 2011 shows former Iranian president and head of Iran's Assembly of Experts, Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, delivering a speech during a meeting of the top clerical body in Tehran.
- Helped establish the Combatant Clergy Association in 1977
- Became a key member of the Council of the Islamic Revolution in 1977
In this December 21, 2015 photo, Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani waves to journalists as he registers his candidacy for the elections of the Experts Assembly, in Tehran, Iran.
- Elected as the first post-Revolution Parliament Speaker in 1980
- Served as Imam Khomeini’s Representative to the Supreme Council of National Defense (in Iraqi war) from 1980 to 89
This file photo shows former chairman of the Expediency Council Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani (R) and Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei.
- Appointed as Acting Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces in 1988
- Served as President for two terms from 1989 to 1997
Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani (L) talks to the founder of the Islamic Republic, Imam Khomeini.
- Ran in the 6th parliamentary elections in 2000, came in last on Tehran’s list, withdrew before being sworn in
- Lost in the 2005 presidential runoff election
A file photo of Ayatollah Rafsanjani (R) and President Hassan Rouhani.
- Served as Head of the Assembly of Experts from 2007 to 2011
- Ended his long-held position as Tehran Friday prayers leader in 2009
This photo taken on July 17, 2009 shows Iran's former president Ayatollah Rafsanjani delivering the Friday prayers sermon at Tehran University in the Iranian capital.
- Disqualified from running in 2013 presidential election
- Won in 2016 Assembly of Experts elections, ranking first on Tehran list
- Passed away after suffering a heart attack in Tehran on January 8, 2017